Yard 2, which is no longer within the heritage site, was designed after pressure began to build in both the media and community regarding the conditions within the factory walls.
In 1830, Assistant Surgeon Bryant suggested that additions to the factory were urgently needed to alleviate overcrowding and for sanitary reasons. A few days after receiving this information, Arthur approved the construction of a second yard with solitary working cells; however, it took another two and a half years to build.
The second yard was smaller than the first, the northern and southern walls were lined with solitary cells, with washtubs and drying lines filling the yard space and washing sheds lining the east and west walls. Not surprisingly this yard was to become known as the Washing Yard.
The Hobart Town Courier reported on the construction on 15 June 1832, suggesting that the solitary cells had an ‘awfully dismal and sepulchral appearance’ and must have had a ‘salutary effect in forcing reflections and leading to self examination and reform’.