The fifth or western most yard was completed during 1852, the year before convict transportation ceased to the colony. Yard 5 is now buried beneath surrounding suburban development.
The yard was 200 by 100 feet and unlike the adjacent yards, had a wall of only five feet surrounding it. A two-storey structure running along the western exterior wall of Yard 2 was designed to house pass-holders or probationers awaiting employment the main building.
The building was used as a dormitory and mess hall and was intended to replace the Hiring Depot at the Brickfields in New Town.