Our Resource Centre is located within the Administration building at the Port Arthur Historic Site. The Centre houses a collection of current and archive resources that we make publicly accessible and continue to develop for our ongoing research requirements and staff needs.
The collection was initially organised during the Port Arthur Conservation Project (PACP) 1979-1984. The information generated included photographs, slides, plans and archaeological data.
Today the collection covers material with an emphasis on the convict period and the conservation and management of the historic sites, as well as historical, geographical, archaeological, sociological, educational and other aspects of Port Arthur Historic Site and the Tasman Peninsula.
Other subjects of relevance include museum studies, interpretation, colonial crafts and trades, gardening, Tasmanian and Australian history.
While the collection includes information on Port Arthur convicts and free people it does not include original Tasmanian convict records. Convict records are held in the custodianship of the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office.
Access and opening hours
Access to the collection is currently only available on site. We are open Mon-Thurs between 9.00 am and 5.00 pm. Please phone or email via the Contact Form below to make an appointment to visit.
Services and additional resources
- Access to on-line catalogues and indexes e.g. Archives Online (via LINC Tasmania), National Library and others, including image and newspaper indexes e.g. TROVE.
- Advice on convict and genealogical related research.
- Convict Enquiry Service including record searches and transcripts.
- Convict records online (via LINC Tasmania)
- Photocopying (a fee is charged for non-staff).
- TAMIOT (Tombstone and Monument Index of Tasmania).
- Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office indexes online (via LINC Tasmania)
- Tasmanian Federation Index.
- Tasmanian Pioneer Index of Births, Deaths and Marriages (1803-1899).
Ph: +61 (0)3 6251 2324 / 6251 2326
Fax: +61 (0)3 6251 2322